E-mail MeMichael P. Kozek
Mr. Kozek joined Jeffrey S. Ween & Associates in 2009, later becoming partner. The firm went on to form Ween & Kozek, LLP in January of 2013. He was previously employed as a law clerk at Beldock, Levine & Hoffman, LLP, from 2007 until 2008.
Mr. Kozek graduated in 2009 from Brooklyn Law School, where he was a member of the Moot Court Honor Society, participant in the 2008 Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, and CALI award winner.
While attending law school, Mr. Kozek served as a judicial intern for Hon. Gerald Lebovits, of the Civil Court, New York County, during which time he contributed research for an article entitled Drug Holdover Proceedings: An Overview From "Knew " to "Should Have Known, " to "Strict Liability", authored by Hon. Lebovits and Douglass J. Seidman, and published in the New York Real Property Law Journal in 2007.
Mr. Kozek's practice is focused on transactions and litigation within the world of real estate, elder law, and art law. In litigation, Mr. Kozek specializes in issues relating to rent stabilization and the New York City Loft Law. He handles all pretrial aspects of litigation, including researching and drafting pleadings, discovery, pretrial motions, court appearances, a settlement negotiations. Mr. Kozek additionally handles appeals, researching and drafting motions and briefs.
Mr. Kozek handles all aspects of representing clients in connection with real estate transactions, including in negotiating and drafting contracts of sale, reviewing pre-closing documents, facilitating execution of contracts of sale, and guiding clients through closing.
Mr. Kozek's expertise and advice has been sought out and featured in various media publications, including the following:
The New York Times, 'The Case for Hiring a Lawyer,' Sept. 29, 2011, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/realestate/the-case-for-hiring-a-lawyer-getting-started.html
The Real Deal Online, 'Tenants Seek Legal Recourse Over Bedbugs,' Nov. 18, 2010, http://therealdeal.com/newyork/articles/more-tenants-seek-legal-recourse-in-bedbug-epidemic-say-attorneys-michael-kozek-and-steven-wagner
Mr. Kozek has also appeared on television as the guest on Manhattan Neighborhood Network's 'Tenants and Neighbors' program, the video of which can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUxfG9FDsNc&feature=share
In addition, Mr. Kozek maintains a blog focusing on issues related to real estate litigation and tenant advocacy, wherein he has published several articles relating to such issues as the 2010 amendment ot the New York City Loft Law, the 2011 extension of the rent regulation laws. His blog can be found here: http://nyctenantlawyer.blogspot.com/
In his free time, Mr. Kozek is a regular volunteer at the Housing Conservation Coordinator's free Monday night legal clinic, and as a member of the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, has represented numerous artists pro bono.
Areas of Practice
- Art Law
- Elder Law
- Probate and Estate Administration
- Administrative Law
- Administrative Hearings & Adjudication
- Civil Rights
- Litigation & Appeals
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Premises Liability -- Plaintiff
- Property Damage -- Plaintiff
- Real Estate Law
- Commercial Leasing
- Commercial Real Estate
- Condominiums & Cooperatives
- Foreclosure & Alternatives
- Land Use & Zoning
- Residential Real Estate
- 80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York, 2009
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York - 2009
- Honors: Member, Moot Court Honor Society
- Honors: 2008 Philip C. Jessup Int'l Law Moot Court Competition & CALI Award Winner
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section, Member, 2009 - Present
- New York County Lawyers Association, Real Property Law Section, Member, 2009 - Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 2010 - Present
- New York City Bar Association, Member, 2010 - Present
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, 2010 - Present
- Housing Conservation Coordinators, 2010 - Present